Monday, February 17, 2014

I heart quilting!

Heart Baby Quilt
 
 
I saw a heart layout for a baby quilt using Moda Candy charms on Moda Bake Shop. (http://www.modabakeshop.com/2014/02/big-hearted-quilt.html#more

 As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to make a heart quilt using the candy charms I had purchased...so here is what I made.  I used 1 pack of Scrumptious candy charms for the heart itself and part of another for the borders. Scrumptious is by Bonnie and Camille for Moda ... are you familiar with Camille's blog?? ... you really need to have a look ...) http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/simplify/

To showcase the delicious fabric, I chose white tone on tone as my background. I first started playing with fabric colour placement and this is what I decided on.
 Once I decided on the placement of colour, I cut 2.5 inch white tone on tone fabric squares to border the vibrant charms.
 I started sewing the squares together and then began sewing the rows together.  It just makes you smile to see a quilt top coming together.
 
So pretty!!

Next, I added a 3.5 inch white border on all sides.  I knew I wanted to add more colour, so I decided to add a candy border to the top and bottom.  This in turn changed the square into a rectangle, which is how I like my baby quilts.  I thought it still needed some more length and I chose to add another 3.5 in border to the top and bottom.
 
 

I love this fabric and I'm so pleased with how this has turned out. 

Happy quilting everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment